Friday, August 22, 2014

Author of the Week: Maggie Tideswell


Author Bio: Maggie Tideswell
I live in Johannesburg, South Africa, married a wonderful Welshman more than 30 years ago and we had three children. They are now all grown up and we have been blessed with two grandkids, a girl and a boy.
I love to cook and read, and when I have the odd moment to myself, I am usually doing one or the other. I think I would have been a wonderful chef, but I wouldn’t have been able to stand the heat in the kitchen.
Two of my books have already been published, Dark Moon in September 2011 and Moragh, Holly’s Ghost in July 2013. Three more, in various stages of completion, clutter my desk demanding my attention. I have always had more than one work in progress at any given time.
Book Bio:
A marriage of convenience between strangers, helpful fey friends, hidden agendas, a custody battle that couldn’t be won and a haunting.
Set in the winelands of the Cape in South Africa, Joshua responded to an advert placed in the newspaper by Holly’s helpful friends. Strange things start happening from the moment Holly accepted his proposal of marriage. They met for the first time on the steps of the chapel they were to be married in. Each had their own reasons for doing this, but Nicole, Joshua’s jilted fiancĂ©e wasn’t happy about his marriage to another woman. Joshua and Holly have to battle Holly’s ex-husband over her two children. And Holly has to solve a 30 year old murder mystery before the ghost that was haunting her would be at peace.
Could the attraction Holly and Joshua felt towards each other blossom into love?
Publisher:
Both my books have been published by All Things That Matter Press, a small press in Maine, USA.
Date Published:
Moragh, Holly’s Ghost was released on July 17, 2013.
Link to book on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/author/maggietideswell
Why did you decide to become an author?
Maggie Tideswell: I was very young when I told my mother I was going to be a writer, but it was many years later before I realized my dream. I have always been a dreamer, making up stories and situations and resolving them. It was only when I was in my forties that I found time to actually write the stories in my head down.
What genre do you write and why?
Maggie Tideswell: I love the paranormal romance genre. Let’s face it, romance is everywhere. Even the birds and the bees do it. Even hard core crime stories and horror has elements of love and romance. My paranormal elements are not the vampire, zombie and creatures with tentacles variety, but rather visitors from the other side of the grave, the craft and the way people interfere with each other. The theme nothing is as it seems plays a strong part in my work.
What inspired you to write this book?
Maggie Tideswell: The meeting between strangers have always fascinated me. People meet for the first time every day, but only some of those encounters have far-reaching effects. But what happens when two strangers are tied to each other by the bond of marriage?
Do you have any tips for new writers interested in seeing their work in print?
Maggie Tideswell: Only one, and that is perseverance. You have to learn to absorb criticism and rejection without breaking your stride towards your goal. Don’t take anything personally and if you don’t at fist succeed, try, try again. If writing is in your blood, don’t give up.
Do you have any tops for new published authors when it comes to marketing and promotions?
Maggie Tideswell: Again only one, and that is persistence. Strive to do something every day to get you and your book before interested people, and it doesn’t have to break your bank. Try new ways of marketing and again, don’t give up. If something doesn’t work, move on to the next. Leave no stone unturned.
Do you have any upcoming books you’d like to mention?
Maggie Tideswell: I do indeed. My third paranormal romance is titled Roxanne’s Ghost, set in the winelands of the Cape Province of South Africa. When Ben’s wife Roxanne dies in a car wreck and his housekeeper gets too old to take care of his little autistic child, Ben needs to find a qualified nanny. Jessica James arrives for her interview for the position on Friday 13th, late in the afternoon with a thunderstorm brewing. The attraction between them is instant, but Roxanne’s twin has plans for Ben.