Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Interview with Markie Madden

Tell me a little about yourself, Markie, like where you live, if you have a 'real' job, children, pets, that sort of thing


I live in the very small Missouri town of Fisk (population 326), in what we call the Bootheel (the little Southeastern tip between Arkansas and Kentucky/Tennessee). I had a real job before cancer (manager at Auto Zone), but I've been unable to return since I'm still in recovery. I've been married (to the same man!) for 20 years and we have two teenage daughters. Rounding out the family are three rescue dogs and my horse, Athena, who's featured on the cover of Keeping a Backyard Horse.

What is you latest book about? What inspired you to write it and where did you get the ideas for the plot and characters?

All my books came out at pretty much the same time, so I'll tell you about My Butterfly Cancer. 20% of my sales are pledge to cancer charities. It's the shockingly raw and honest memoir of my battle with leukemia. I use the theory of the butterfly effect (a butterfly flaps its wings in China, causes a hurricane in Florida) to explain the avalanche that started with my diagnosis and culminated in my becoming self-published. I hope to inspire people with cancer or other life-threatening illnesses. I plan to donate several copies to the hospital wing where I stayed, as well as some audiobook copies, which should be ready next month. 

When did your book come out and where can readers find it?

All my books came out in September 2014, except Once Upon a Western Way, which was published in digital format in 2012. They can be found in print at Amazon and CreateSpace, and at the moment, they are Kindle exclusives.

What distinguishes your book/plot/characters from others? Don't give anything away, but what's the 'hook' that will draw the readers to your book?

My memoir, as I mentioned before, is shockingly honest. I didn't balk even when explaining how the nurses had to wipe my butt! And Keeping a Backyard Horse is different from other horse care guides because it's narrated by my horse and filled with humorous anecdotes. 

What would your readers take away from your book? What emotions and thoughts do you hope to evoke?

I'd love my readers to be inspired, educated, or entertained by my work. My purpose in writing Backyard Horse was to help prevent accidental neglect of horses through owner ignorance (they're not exactly as easy to keep as dogs or cats!).

Are you planning a sequel, or another book?

I have two books in process right now. Triple Heist is a crime novel involving Allison, head of security at the Federal Reserve bank. She and sometime lover Josh are planning to rob the bank of millions! And Fang and Claw is book one of the Undead Unit series. In a world where supernatural beings are living and working among humans, Lacey is a detective with the Dallas police department. She's also a Vampire. She's been put in charge of newly-formed squad called the Undead Unit, elite officers to investigate crimes among the Undead. Her partner, Colton, is a Werewolf, descendent of the pack that decimated Lacey's coven hundreds of years ago. Can they work together?

What genre do you place your book in?

I have two non-fiction, and Once Upon a Western Way is romantic fantasy with a touch of the paranormal and scifi. Princes and kings and epic love.

How did you publish? Are you independent, or do you have a publisher?

All my books are independently published through CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, and Smashwords. Once released, the audiobook formats will be produced through Audiobook.Creation Exchange (and available through Audible and iTunes).

What is your marketing plan? Do you use social media to help you? Do you have ideas for marketing you'd like to share?

I don't have a "day" job, but I spend hours advertising through social media. On occassion I use paid ads through Facebook and Twitter. I also organized an author blog interview exchange, and run periodic contests on Facebook and Twitter. I have a book signing in early January of next year in my local Hastings book store, and I plan to expand on book signings next year. 

Are you a member of any writing/reading groups like Shelfari, Goodreads, Scribophile?

I'm on GoodReads, Shelfari, and online writers group Scribophile. 

What other links would you like me to post?

Twitter @naddya81975 
I'm also on LinkedIn, Google+, and Pinterest, all under my name Marguerite Madden. I'm still new enough to these that I'm not sure how to find my user name. Books (and these will automatically direct users anywhere in the world to their proper Amazon store): My Butterfly Cancer: http://geni.us/3Xdr Keeping a Backyard Horse: http://geni.us/47ot Omce Upon a Western Way: http://geni.us/26Fb
Marguerite Madden